Re: st: mvprobit

From   Simon Moore <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: mvprobit
Date   Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:09:48 +0000

Thanks Maarten

Maarten buis wrote:
--- Simon Moore <[email protected]> wrote:

Is there an accepted criteria for use of mvprobit over two or more separate probit equations? My only lead so far, from the published literature using mvprobit, tells me that mvprobit is best if outcome variables are correlated but not so correlated that dependant
variables should be collapsed into a single variable.
It is not so much that the depedent variables are correlated, but that
the error terms are correlated. I think of it as there is some
unobserved variable that influences all dependent variables. Given my
simplistic mind I need a concrete variable, I often think about it in
terms of smart respondents are more likely to be succesful interms of
dependent variable 1 and dependent variable 2 (assuming you haven't
measured IQ or something like that). In other words the criterium is
mostly theoretical.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis