st: RE: CI for a difference in proportions

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: CI for a difference in proportions
Date   Wed, 27 Feb 2008 21:54:00 -0000

I can think of 2 possibilities. One is to use -glm-, with the options
-family(binomial) link(identity)-, to get estimation results for a
proportion for Group 1 and a Group 2 - Group 1 difference between
proportions. As in:

glm event group2, family(binomial) link(identity)

where event is the binary outcome variable (with values 0 and 1), and
group2 is an indicator (with values 0 an 1) indicating membership of
group 2 rather than group 1. The parameter named _cons will be the
proportion of individuals for which the event happened in group 1, and
the parameter labelled group2 will be the difference between the
proportion of individuals for which the event happened in group 2 and
the proportion of individuals for which the event happened in group 1.
Both of these parameters have estimates and standard errors, which can
be extracted for further processing, using -parmby-, -statsby-,
-estout-, -outreg- etc.

A better alternative is probably to use the -somersd- package,
downloadable from SSC. This can calculate differences between
proportions, and confidence intervals for these, because a difference
between proportions is a special case of Somers' D when both the
Y-variable and the X-variable are binary. The -somersd- package has the
advantage of offering Normalizing and variance-stabilizing
transformations for differences between proportions, allowing confidence
intervals in which we can probably be more confident. In our case, we
might type

somersd group2 event, transf(z) tdist

and 2 confidence intervals will be displayed, one for the hyperbolic
arctangent (or z-transform) of the difference between proportions, and
one for the difference between the proportions itself. Again, the
estimates and standard errors of the z-transformed difference can be
extracted using -statsby-, -parmby-, -parmest-, -estout- etc. and then
back-transformed  using the -tanh()- function.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson