RE: st: xtlogit with a fractional response

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: xtlogit with a fractional response
Date   Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:59:11 -0000

The references include

Banks, R.B. 1994. Growth and Diffusion Phenomena: Mathematical
Frameworks and Applications. Berlin: Springer.

Cramer, J.S. 2004. The early origins of the logit model. Studies in
History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences 35:
613--626.

Kingsland, S.E. 1995. Modeling Nature: Episodes in the History of
Population Ecology. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Wilson, E.B. 1925. The logistic or autocatalytic grid. Proceedings,
National Academy of Sciences 11: 451--456.

The last seems freely available on the internet.
Wilson proposed what we would now call logit graph paper.

Nick

Richard Gibson

Fascinating!  Is there some pre reading?

>>> Nick Cox <[email protected]> 27/02/2008 22:17 >>>

It is interesting (to me anyway) that the conditioned reflex to "logit"
among many analysts
is that the root idea is using what we now call the logit function as a
link function for binary

Extensions e.g. to responses with multiple outcomes are then regarded as
extra tricks building on that.

However, the logit idea has a much longer history for modelling growth
or decay in demography,
ecology, physiology, chemistry etc. for problems with essentially
continuous responses.
The point is elaborated in a graphical context in a note forthcoming in
Stata Journal 8(1).