st: RE: egen first/lastnm

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: egen first/lastnm
Date   Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:13:29 -0000

The issue Devra raises can be answered by looking at the code. Here I
focus on the
-egen- add-on -first()-. The same issue arises with -lastnm()-. You
could see the code
below from within Stata by typing

. ssc type _gfirst.ado

What is wired into the code through the -marksample- statement is that
missings on the
variable supplied are segregated throughout. Thus, as Devra reports,
missings
are mapped to missings.

*! 1.0.0 NJC 31 May 2000
program define _gfirst
	version 6.0
	gettoken type 0 : 0
      gettoken g 0 : 0
      gettoken eqs 0 : 0
      syntax varname [if] [in] [, BY(varlist) ]
	marksample touse, strok
	tempvar order
	gen long `order' = _n
	sort `touse' `by' `order'
	* ignore user-supplied `type'
	local type : type `varlist'
      qui by `touse' `by' : gen `type' `g' = `varlist'[1] if `touse'
end

Below is a hack that would populate observations with appropriate
non-missings whenever
they exist.

*! 1.1.0 NJC Statalist 24 Feb 2008
* _gfirst 1.0.0 NJC 31 May 2000
program define _gfirst2
        version 6.0
        gettoken type 0 : 0
        gettoken g 0 : 0
        gettoken eqs 0 : 0
        syntax varname [if] [in] [, BY(varlist) ]
	marksample touse, strok novarlist
	tempvar order missing
	gen long `order' = _n
	gen byte `missing' = missing(`varlist')
	sort `touse' `by' `missing' `order'
	* ignore user-supplied `type'
	local type : type `varlist'
        qui by `touse' `by' : gen `type' `g' = `varlist'[1] if `touse'
end

Alternatively, surgery after Devra's example would be

bysort id (y) : replace y = y[1]
bysort id (z) : replace z = z[1]

Devra Golbe

-egen(newvar) = first(varname)-

(from the egenmore functions) produces missing values when I did not
expect that behavior. newvar is missing for observations in which
varname is missing. The same is true for -egen newvar =
lastnm(varname)-  Is that the behavior I should have expected? In
contrast, -egen (newvar) = mean(varname) populates newvar even if
varname is missing. See the example below my signature

input n id x

             n         id          x
  1. 1 1 10
  2. 2 1 9