Re: AW: st: Re: Pass Integers to Program

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: AW: st: Re: Pass Integers to Program
Date   Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:56:49 +0000 (GMT)

--- Martin Weiss <[email protected]> wrote:
> thanxx for the advice but what goes for the dots in "syntax...,
> values"? I really cannot get this to work, everytime I try it, I get
> error codes r(197) and r(198)...

... could be a lot of things described in -help syntax-, and since we
did not know what kind of program you were writing we just left that
open by typing ... It could be nothing at all, but often it is
something like this:

syntax varlist [if] [in] [fw aw pw] ,                   ///
       values(numlist min=6 max=6 >0 <50 sort integer)

In which case someone must enter a list variables and your list of 6
integers, and one can use -if- -in- and weights (fweights, aweights, or
pweights). If you want to allow for -if- and -in-, it is useful to take
a look at -help mark-.

If All you want is to pass the six integers, you can type:

syntax , values(numlist min=6 max=6 >0 <50 sort integer)

The example below illustrates some of the useful features of -syntax-
in a working example.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

*--------------- begin example -------------------
capture program drop foo
program define foo
      syntax varlist [if] [in] [aw],                  ///
      VALues(numlist min=6 max=6 >0 <50 sort integer) ///
      [                                               ///
      red                                             ///
      ]

      local wgt "[`weight'`exp']"

      marksample touse
      sum `varlist' if `touse' `wgt'

      di _n as txt "the values specified in the option values are:"
      if "`red'" == "" {
            di as result "`values'"
      }
      else {
            di as err "`values'"
      }
end

sysuse auto, clear
foo mpg if foreign==1 [aw=weight] , val( 1 4 5 2 3 9)
foo mpg , val( 1 4 5 2 3 9) red
*----------------- end example ------------------------
(For more on how to use examples I sent to the Statalist, see
http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/stata/exampleFAQ.html )

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081