Re: st: profile.do

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: profile.do
Date   Fri, 15 Feb 2008 14:59:30 -0500

On 2/15/08, Nick Winter <[email protected]> wrote:
> i'll note that -set trace on- act the same way, which means you can turn
> on tracing at a mid-point in your program (just before the point you are
> debugging), and Stata will *not* continue to display trace output after
> the program ends.

And in light of that, it would be very desirable to let "set
tracedepth" to accept negative values, to allow debugging the caller,
after a particular event occured in the procedure being called.

E.g. program A calls program B calls program C
(let's think of them as very non-linear in terms of commands flow)

I want to be able to "set trace -1" in C, to allow tracing B if a
particular event occured in C (e.g. file not found in C, or invalid
value of an argument is received).

Ideally I would want even to scroll back and see the history of what
happened before the call. (i.e. trace's output is suppressed, until a
certain moment, but then, say after a critical stop, the last n lines
become visible) -- with all that output generated by trace, it can be
that some parts of the code can be inaccessible because they are so
deep in the code, that it takes long minutes/hours to trace the
programs till we get there, and turning in conditional tracing is not
possible, because we don't know where the problem is in the first
place.

Best Regards,
   Sergiy Radyakin