RE: st: Stata Technical Bulletin

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Stata Technical Bulletin
Date   Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:35:36 -0000

There are two issues here.

Richard's school [meaning, university] supplies him with e-access to
many, many journals. Mine does too, but directly or indirectly it is
also paying a very great deal for that access. As you can subscribe to
the Stata Journal electronically, what Richard wants is already
possible, at modest cost: for a university library in the USA or Canada,
the price is USD 89 / year. For about 600 pages per year of good quality
technical material, that's quite reasonable, or so I suggest.

Beyond that, Richard's implication is presumably that he wants that
access to be free -- but as he rightly says whether and what parts of
the SJ will become freely available is a business decision for the
publishers, StataCorp.

Joe Newton, Nick Cox
Editors, Stata Journal

Richard Williams

At 09:26 AM 2/12/2008, Scott Merryman wrote:
>It appears that all past issues of the Stata Technical Bulletin all
>freely availabe from Stata Press as PDFs or for the cost of shipping
>for printed volumes.  See
>
>http://www.stata-press.com/journals/stbj.html
>
>Scott

This is great news.  Thanks to StataCorp for doing this.

On my wish list for the future - Through my school, I have e-access
to hundreds, maybe thousands of journals.  I wish Stata Journal was
among them.  I have my own subscription, but I'd like it to be the
case that scholars everywhere had easy access to SJ, just like they
do other journals.  It increases the likelihood of the work being
read and cited.  I don't know if it is in StataCorp's best economic
interest to provide such access, but anything that helps to spread
the word about Stata probably doesn't hurt.