st: what the deal with mlogit predict?

From   Kyle Hood <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: what the deal with mlogit predict?
Date   Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:02:55 -0500 (EST)

I am trying to do predictions of scores with mlogits, and I get some strange errors. Using Stata 10. Here is an example.

. webuse sysdsn3

. mlogit insure age male nonwhite site2 site3
* results suppressed *

. predict s1 s2 s3, scores
too many variables specified
the current estimation results for mlogit have 2 equations so you must specify 2 new variables, or you can use the
equation() option and specify one variable at a time
r(103);

. predict s1 s2, scores
too few variables specified
insure has 3 outcomes and so you must specify 3 new variables, or
you can use the outcome() option and specify variables one at a time
r(102);

How can 3 be too many but 2 too few? What am I missing, here?

Kyle
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/