Re: st: matrix problems

Subject   Re: st: matrix problems
Date   Thu, 7 Feb 2008 21:23:00 -0500

Dennis Coates <[email protected]>:
You seem to have a matrix of less than full rank, within the limits of
computer precision, i.e. no true inverse exists.  -help
matrix_functions- says:

    inv(M)
       Domain:       n x n nonsingular matrices
       Range:        n x n matrices
singular, this will result in an error.

                     The function invsym() should be used in
preference to inv() because invsym() is more accurate.  The row
                     names of the result are obtained from the column
names of M, and the column names of the results are
                     obtained from the row names of M.

    invsym(M)
       Domain:       n x n symmetric matrices
       Range:        n x n symmetric matrices
definite.  If M is not positive definite, rows will be
                         inverted until the diagonal terms are zero or
negative; the rows and columns corresponding to these
                         terms will be set to 0, producing a g2
inverse.  The row names of the result are obtained from the
                         column names of M, and the column names of
the result are obtained from the row names of M.