Re: st: areg vs xtreg, fe

From   David Jacobs <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: areg vs xtreg, fe
Date   Mon, 04 Feb 2008 13:33:50 -0500

The main reason for the difference is that AREG counts the machine equivalent of the case dummies when it computes the R2; EXTREG, FE does not. It follows that a lion's share of the variance you've explained is due to the case specific attributes you've included in your models.

Two incidental matters: First, if you end up using XTREG, FE the proper R2 to report is the "within". Second, R2 square values aren't the best measure of anything that matters although referees sometimes think they matter . The point is I wouldn't spend much space in your write up on these values.

Dave Jacobs