st: RE: TextEditor Automation

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: TextEditor Automation
Date   Sun, 3 Feb 2008 17:31:05 -0000

-winexec- is for MS Windows only. I'll not attempt discussion for Unix
flavours, including Macintosh.

If -winexec- has any options of its own, they are not documented. But it
could hardly have options of its own, as I understand it, as whatever
follows the command name "winexec" must be for the consumption of the
operating system, including first the name of the program you want to
run. That could include options of an editor, in this case, and if they
include maximising the window size, you may be where you want to be.

That said, this seems the wrong way round to me. The tacit philosophy
behind -winexec- is that you are in a Stata session, and you want to do
something on the side, in this case editing, usually only for part of a
Stata session. Whenever I run -winexec- the window opening is fairly
small as a signal of which partner is dominant. Of course, I can make it
bigger in a trice; that's what you want to automate.

If your idea is that you are in an editor session and want to run Stata
on the side, then so be it, and the question is then whether and how you
can run Stata from your editor.

I guess if this were widely desired, StataCorp could look at adding a
settable preference for such windows to be maximised, that is, if one
doesn't exist already. Don't be surprised if they prefer not to do this.

Martin Weiss

I was wondering whether it is possible to have the profile.do open your
favorite texteditor in a maximized window automatically.
http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/t/textEditors.html gives advice on how
handle editors to edit do-files. I cannot find a section on passing
command
line arguments to the winexec command to have it open the editor
maximized,
though. Any ideas?