st: Re: comparison of OLS and fixed-effect regression coefficients

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: comparison of OLS and fixed-effect regression coefficients
Date   Sat, 2 Feb 2008 06:27:02 -0500

But if the test that Martin mentions rejects its null, you have biased and inconsistent coefficients in the OLS regression.

What you can do to jointly test _both_ coefficients for differences is

webuse grunfeld
reg invest mvalue kstock
est store ols
xtreg invest mvalue kstock, fe
est store fe
hausman fe ols, sigmaless

The Hausman test in this context considers a consistent estimator (fe) vs a counterpart which would be efficient if the constraints that dummies were excluded from the fe model were appropriate. A strong rejection is based on the differences in the point and interval estimates.

Kit

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html