st: obtaining varlist from other dataset

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: obtaining varlist from other dataset
Date   Sat, 02 Feb 2008 02:15:01 +0000

Hi.

Is it possible to get a list of the variables from a dataset not currently in memory -- say in a macro?

If I do
des using otherdataset
I see the variables in that dataset. But can I get those variables into a macro?

Presently, I -use- the other dataset (-in 1-, to save space, but not time), and then -unab-. It works, but is there a more direct way, without loading the data?

I have a vague sense that I've asked this before; so excuse me if I've forgotten the answer.

Thanks
--David