st: Re: WTP from double bounded data

From   "P. Wilner Jeanty" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: WTP from double bounded data
Date   Fri, 1 Feb 2008 11:45:24 -0500

On Jan 31, 2008 5:42 PM, Henrik Andersson <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear Wilner,
>
> my ultimate goal is to estimate mean and median WTP. However, for that my code below works fine. The reason why I want to redefine my log-likelihood is to have a more direct relationship between WTP and my covariates. By replacing ($ML_y6*`bid'+`xb') with ((`bid'-`xb'/$c)) in my log-likelihood function I have a direct interpretation of how my covariates (x) influences my WTP (bid).
>
> I don't feel to comfortable to distribute my data at this stage. We have just started to analyze it our self and I'm only one partner in the project which means that I cannot decide on my own whether to give other access to the data.
>
> If you just want to check your code, I can recommend you to simulate data. See previous message on Stata list, http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-12/msg00121.html.
>
> Henrik

Do not bother about the data. Although your question is a bit
confusing (<is it possible to specify my log-likelihood to get b and c
directly?> you probably meant to say c and d),  it seems to me that
you are trying to get non-standardized parameter estimates, c, and an
estimate of sigma, d. Remember that relying on the cumulative standard
normal or logistic distribution to estimate a model involves
normalization of the error term, which gives rise to probabilities in
terms of parameters divided by an unknown variance. Thus, parameters
can only be estimated up to a scalar multiple, because the dependent
variable, taking on zero or one, has no scale in it.
The answer to your question is a resounding no. However, in the linear
WTP model, since the coefficient on the bid variable is an estimate of
-1/sigma and what is estimated in the model is b/sigma (normalized or
standardized parameters), you have everything you need to calculate
WTP and obtain a direct relationship between WTP and the covariates.

One clarification, for this linear model, mean WTP and median WTP are equal.

Hope this helps

--
P. Wilner Jeanty, Post-doctoral researcher
Dept. of Agricultural, Environmental, and Development Economics