RE: st: Arguments in the -ml-

From   "Mentzakis, Emmanouil" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Arguments in the -ml-
Date   Fri, 1 Feb 2008 11:41:26 -0000

Maarten, thank you for the reply.

I ve extended your example a little bit.

-mynormal_lf1- is the one you set and
-mynormal_lf2- is the same one but reversing the order in which the arguments appear in the -lnf-,
-mynormal_lf3- is the same but reversing the arguments in -args- and
-mynormal_lf4- has everything reversed.

Every dyad of models gives the same results which shows that all the orders matter at the end of the day.

So, the order in -args- should follow the order in -lnf-  which should follow the order in -ml model-. Would this be a foolproof procedure to follow?

This is a very simple LogL (and verifiable against an official command) so the problem is not apparent but sometimes things can be a bit more messy.

Any suggestions are wellcome.

Thank you
Manos

*-------------- begin example -----------------------
sysuse auto, clear
capture program drop mynormal_lf1
program mynormal_lf1
        version 8.1
        args lnf mu sigma
        quietly replace `lnf' = ln(normden($ML_y1,`mu', `sigma'))
end

sysuse auto, clear
capture program drop mynormal_lf2
program mynormal_lf2
        version 8.1
        args lnf mu sigma
        quietly replace `lnf' = ln(normden($ML_y1,`sigma', `mu'))
end

sysuse auto, clear
capture program drop mynormal_lf3
program mynormal_lf3
        version 8.1
        args lnf sigma mu
        quietly replace `lnf' = ln(normden($ML_y1,`mu',`sigma'))
end

sysuse auto, clear
capture program drop mynormal_lf4
program mynormal_lf4
        version 8.1
        args lnf sigma mu
        quietly replace `lnf' = ln(normden($ML_y1,`sigma',`mu'))
end

ml model lf mynormal_lf1 (mpg = weight displacement) ()
ml maximize, nolog
ml model lf mynormal_lf4 (mpg = weight displacement) ()
ml maximize, nolog

ml model lf mynormal_lf2 () (mpg = weight displacement)
ml maximize,nolog
ml model lf mynormal_lf3 () (mpg = weight displacement)
ml maximize,nolog

***

ml model lf mynormal_lf1 () (mpg = weight displacement)
ml maximize,nolog
ml model lf mynormal_lf4 () (mpg = weight displacement)
ml maximize,nolog

ml model lf mynormal_lf2 (mpg = weight displacement) ()
ml maximize, nolog
ml model lf mynormal_lf3 (mpg = weight displacement) ()
ml maximize, nolog

exit