Re: st: Seeking help in stata

From   "Anders Alexandersson" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Seeking help in stata
Date   Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:28:02 -0500

If "A" and "X" are not the only alphabetic
characters, then

. list if missing(real(codeks))

will identify also these other alphabetical characters, which is not wanted.
Here is my final attempt of using my idea with regular expressions
(found1 is Nick's original solution, found2 is my solution, I hope):

. input str3 codeks

        codeks
  1. 101
  2. 102
  3. 01A
  4. 01X
  5. 0AX
  6. EFG
  7. end

. gen byte found1 = (strpos(codeks, "A") > 0) | (strpos(codeks, "X") > 0)

. gen byte found2 = regexm(codeks, ["A|X"] )

. list

     +--------------------------+
     | codeks   found1   found2 |
     |--------------------------|