Re: st: RE: weighted "lowess"

Subject   Re: st: RE: weighted "lowess"
Date   Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:07:31 -0500

Celine--
You can also use -lpoly-, with the -deg(1)- option for local linear
regression, with a very easy syntax:

webuse nhanes2
lpoly wei hei [aw=final]
lpoly wei hei [aw=final], deg(1)

and work only at some values of X to speed up the process:

gen x=_n+134 in 1/66
lpoly wei hei [aw=final], deg(1) gen(def) at(x)

and quietly save the results if you want to compare different smoothnesses:

lpoly wei hei [aw=final], deg(1) bw(.5) gen(wh) at(x) nogr
lpoly wei hei [aw=final], deg(1) bw(1) gen(w1) at(x) nogr
lpoly wei hei [aw=final], deg(1) bw(4) gen(w4) at(x) nogr
line wh w1 w4 x

Note that [aweight]s are more appropriate for your data than the above
NHANES data (which should really use [pweights], so the weight option
above is not useful for SEs or CIs in the example, but should work
nicely for you).