Re: st: Stata stops recognizing basic commands

Subject   Re: st: Stata stops recognizing basic commands
Date   Wed, 12 Dec 2007 11:36:28 -0500

Jo--
The only thing to do before implementing these solutions is to back up
your disk as is, unless you are sure you never stored user-written
files anywhere that official Stata might overwrite them.  Most
user-written files are available over the net, but if you have some
that you wrote yourself, or got over email from colleagues, they may
not be easily reinstalled after overwriting a files.  Such an outcome
is unlikely, but possible.  For example, if you modified the official
codebook.ado to allow -if- and -in- options and then saved it in an
official Stata directory (a bad practice, but one I have seen used) it
could get overwritten when reinstalling and then be irretrievably
lost.  Of course, if you find yourself in this type of situation, you
have learned a valuable lesson--you should rename files and programs
when you modify them, and save them in a safe location. Small
consolation if you lose something important, I suppose.