st: RE: SV: how do I overlay two linkplot graphs?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: SV: how do I overlay two linkplot graphs?
Date   Wed, 12 Dec 2007 14:56:13 -0000

Kim's suggestion won't work. -linkplot- cannot be used in this
way, as it is only a stand-alone program and not also
a -twoway- type.

To answer the original question, and one of the doubts in
Kim's reply, -linkplot- is a program from SSC.

Only yesterday in a different thread I was saying,

"Please remember the advice to specify where user-written
commands you refer to may be located."

That advice is spelled out in the FAQ, which all members
are asked to read before posting.

-linkplot- dates from 2003 and was written for version 8.
One of its options is -plot()-. I will revise -linkplot-
to support also -addplot()- for users of Stata 9 or 10.
-plot()- will still work in Stata 9 or 10, but is now undocumented.

The criterion for -plot()- (or -addplot()-) is simple. Its argument
must be capable of being fed to -twoway- as a -twoway- type.
Stephen fed to -plot()-

if task==1, linepattern(solid) if task==2, linepattern(dot)

but that isn't a self-contained -twoway- type call. Nor is it
legal syntax for any other Stata purpose. Nor would something
like

. linkplot score character, link(GRP) if task ==1,
	plot(linkplot score character if task==2)

work, for the reason given in my first sentence.

I can't work out from Stephen's posting precisely what he wants.
He refers to variables -character1-character5- but he
is trying graph calls using -character-. Unless -character-
is a separate variable there is no way that is going
to work.

I have to guess at this stage that Stephen is expecting from
-linkplot- something that goes way beyond its specification.
It should do what is claimed in its help, but no more.

Further progress might depend on Stephen posting a sample
dataset with precisely his kind of structure. What he wants
will be plottable, but not necessarily with -linkplot-.

Kim Lyngby Mikkelsen
====================

Overlaying graphs is done using the '||'-option between plots you want
to overlay.

Try something like this:

linkplot score character if task==1, link(GRP) linepattern(solid) ||
linkplot score character if task==2, link(GRP) linepattern(dot))

Obs: everything should be written within the same line!
Obs: I am not familiar with the linkplot command, and I do not know if
the part of your command after the comma is correct. I have removed your
specification of 'plot' as I can see that this option requires an
argument, which I think might be the name of another plot you have
previous saved.

Stephen Cox (edited)
===========

For each case, I have 2 (task 1, task 2) sets of 5 variables (character1
- 5).
I want to do a -linkplot- across the 5 character variables, one for each
task
set, but overlayed, and with a different line patterns for each tasks.

I'm quite new to Stata, and can't work out how the -plot()- option
works.
The help seems to say it allows -twoway connected- graph options, but I
keep
getting error messages.

I can't define line patterns, nor get the two sets of lines to go on the
same
graph. I am obviously not using the -plot()- options correctly here, but
can't work out how.

Here is one of the many many attempts I have had:

. linkplot score character, link(GRP) plot (if task==1,
linepattern(solid) if task==2, linepattern(dot))