RE: st: RE: Using Mata within a foreach loop = r(1)

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Using Mata within a foreach loop = r(1)
Date   Fri, 7 Dec 2007 13:56:51 -0000

Abdel was quite correct to leave out an -end- statement. His example
was a series of separate invocations of Mata.

Pablo Mitnik

Thanks for your answer -- but observe you left the end statement out. I
want to get out of Mata and continue doing stuff in the loop. When you
add the end command, the error I described is generated.
Pablo

Abdel Rahmen El Lahga wrote:
> I don't understand your loop but the code below work
> *===================== foreach i in 1 2 {
>  mata: A=1,2
>  mata: A
>  mata: mata clear
>  }
> *======================

> 2007/12/7, Nick Cox <[email protected]>:
>
>> My guess is that you have to respect much more the fact that Stata
>> and Mata are different languages. I don't think you can mix them
>> quite like this.
>>
>> Something like
>>
>> foreach ... {
>>         myprog ...
>> }
>>
>> where -myprog- is a Stata program that calls Mata is more likely to
>> succeed.
>>
>> As your real problem is different, further advice may wait upon
>> details.
>>
>> Pablo Mitnik
>>
>> When I try to do stuff in Mata within a loop, in a do file, I receive

>> the following error message:
>>
>> --Break--
>> r(1);
>>
>> end of do-file