st: RE: Problem with ado file - stcmd

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Problem with ado file - stcmd
Date   Thu, 6 Dec 2007 22:59:55 -0000

Eva has already given you very good advice. What does "not working"
mean in your case? You do not say.

Your program can be simplified as follows:

prog stcmd
	version 9
	shell "C:\Program Files\StatTransfer9\st" `0'
end

because although you define a local macro called -stpath-
you never use it.

Thus your program will call up StatTransfer9 if (and only if)
on your machine there is a batch file or executable named
st.bat or st.exe in C:\Program Files\StatTransfer9. It will
then pass it whatever arguments you feed to -stcmd-.

If you pass it no arguments it will probably do nothing, but
I am guessing. I have not used StatTransfer for about 15 years
and have no copy to experiment with.

Only you can tell us what is your set-up and what you are
giving as arguments to -stcmd-, but you don't specify either.
You are asking us to debug a problem that is mostly hidden
to us.

Josiane Georges

I am trying to use stcmd.ado to run Stat Transfer directly in Stata, but it is not working. I've tried to use what I found in the FAQ, but it did not work. I have modified the standard stcmd.ado file to read the following:

#delim ;
prog def stcmd;
version 9.0;
/*
�Run the Stat/Transfer st command
�with parameters and switches supplied by the user.
*!Author: Roger Newson
*!Date: 04 June 2007
*/

local stpath `"$StatTransfer_path"';
if `"`stpath'"'=="" {;
� local stpath "st";
};
shell "C:\Program Files\StatTransfer9\st" `0' ;

end;

Any have and ideas on how to fix the ado file?