st: RE: transfering data from stata 8.0 to stata 9.2

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: transfering data from stata 8.0 to stata 9.2
Date   Tue, 4 Dec 2007 11:35:42 -0000

Stata 8 files should be totally readable by 9.2.

It sounds as if some kind of compression program was used on your files.
One test is that your .do files should be readable in any text editor.
If not, this is a local problem to do with how your files were handled,
not a Stata problem as such.

andreia tolciu

I have a problem with Stata and I hope that you can
help me. I have been using till now Stata 8.0. on my
private PC.
Yesterday, with the receipt of a new computer I have
also got Stata 9.2.
I am trying to transfer all the data sets and do-files
which I have been using till now on the new computer,
but when trying to open them I get the following
message:

. use "C:\Dokumente und
Einstellungen\AT\Desktop\iabs-r01_stata\actual2001.dta",
clear
file C:\Dokumente und
Einstellungen\AT\Desktop\iabs-r01_stata\actual2001.dta
not Stata format
r(610);

or:

. use "C:\Dokumente und
Einstellungen\AT\Desktop\iabs-r01_stata\allbus2000-regbez-29Okt.dta",
clear
file C:\Dokumente und
Einstellungen\AT\Desktop\iabs-r01_stata\allbus2000-regbez-29Okt.dta
not Stata
    format
r(610);

I can not even open the do-files (there appear only
unreadable signs).

I suppose this problem has something to do with the
change of the versions I use, but I am not sure.
Could you help me please solve this problem?