st: question about survey commands

From   DEEPANKAR BASU <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: question about survey commands
Date   Wed, 21 Nov 2007 21:34:11 -0500

Hi All,

I am working with Stata version 8.2 in Windows Vista. I am working with a survey dataset (the Demographic and Health Surveys for India).

After generating some variables, I do a t-test to test for the equality of means (of the relevant variables) and store some results of the test as follows:

ttest nsibg==nsibb, unpaired unequal
local nsibeff = r(mu_1) - r(mu_2)
local g3 = r(t)

ttest nwfsb==nwfsg, unpaired unequal
local nboeff = r(mu_1) - r(mu_2)
local g4 = r(t)

(later I use these local variables).

Since the data does not come from a simple random sample, the standard errors and test statistics are not correct. How do I go about doing the above computations taking account of the fact that I am working with a complex survey dataset?

I can use the *svyset* command to tell Stata the details of the survey design (pweights, psu and strata). But I do not know how proceed after that. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Deepankar