Re: st: Generating a unique ID

From   "Mansour Farahani" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Generating a unique ID
Date   Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:15:34 -0500

Friedrich,
Thank you very much for your help. The point is that in my dataset the missing values are not coded as missing, instead the whole row is not there.
state	year	age	sex	residence
1	1970	1	1	2
1	1970	1	2	1
1	1970	1	2	2
1	1970	2	2	1
1	1970	2	2	2
1	1970	3	1	1
1	1970	3	2	1
1	1970	3	2	2

As you can see in the above, age 1 sex 1 and residence 1 is missing but it is not explicitly coded in the dataset. as a result, when I use egen group( ) I have a continuous set of numbers for ID ( with no jump when a record is missing).
thanks again,
Mansour
>>> "Friedrich Huebler" <[email protected]> 11/21/07 6:49 PM >>>
Mansour,

You can use -egen group- if you only want a unique ID that does not
necessarily contain information on the underlying data.

. egen id = group(state year age sex residence)

Missing data in any of the five variables will result in a missing
value for the ID. Another option, closer to what you suggested, is to
concatenate the identifying variables.

. gen id = string(state) + " " + string(year) + " " + string(age) + "
" + string(sex) + " " + string(residence)

Friedrich