Re: st: discrete time-varying covariate in cox models

From   "Daniel O. Koralek" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: discrete time-varying covariate in cox models
Date   Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:13:52 -0500

Hi Maarten,

Thanks for your note. I'm still somewhat confused on the appropriate syntax. My covariate doesn't necessarily change at each time point (i.e. you could have come to a visit but not actually had a screen). I'm going to show some hypothetical data here (the actual data is confidential). the screenage variables contain the age at the corresponding study visit date, and the screen variables contain the number of screens undergone up to and including that same study visit. So, I would like my screening covariate to be equal to the number of screens up to the given analysis time point.

pid iscase entryage exitage screenage0 screenage1 screenage2 screenage3 screen0 screen1 screen2 screen3
1 0 52.0 57.2 52.0 53.1 54.0 55.3 1 2 2 3
2 1 52.5 56.1 52.5 53.7 55.0 55.8 1 2 3 4
3 0 52.4 57.6 52.4 53.4 54.5 56.1 1 2 3 3

if i then used this stset command:
stset exitage, failure(iscase==1) enter(time entryage) exit(time exitage) scale(1) id(pid)

the following stsplit, isn't going to do it...
stsplit, at(failure)

i'm totally lost now. would i need to manually split the data into multiple records by pid, with entry and exitages corresponding to the screenage variables and screen variable being the appropriate screen(n)?

Thanks,

Dan

From
Maarten buis <[email protected]>
Subject
Re: st: discrete time-varying covariate in cox models
Date
Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:26:44 +0000 (GMT)
--- "Daniel O. Koralek" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Now, what I would like to do is simply control for a single screen
> variable that equals the number of screens that occurred up to the
> analysis time. THe examples that I have seen using stsplit seem to
> only use a single change (in this scenario, up to a certain point
> screen =0 and after screen = 1), not where multiple changes can
> occur.

If a single change occurs than you create a dummy after -stsplit-, if
you have multiple changes you add multiple dummies, or if you
hypothesis a linear effect, a single continuous variable. In all these
cases -stsplit- doesn't know or cares which scenario applies, it works
in exactly the same way.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting address:

+31 20 5986715

http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/

Want ideas for reducing your carbon footprint? Visit Yahoo! For Good http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/environment.html
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/

Daniel O. Koralek
Department of Epidemiology/Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7435
http://www.unc.edu/~dkoralek/