RE: st: string variable

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: string variable
Date   Tue, 13 Nov 2007 18:10:40 +0100

Thanks Nick and Austin.
I will try the way that Austin suggest.

Anyway id is an important variable when you use panel data because you need a numeric variable.
ex:
iis(id) to set your panel.
Thanks again.
Catia

Quoting Nick Cox <[email protected]>:

I agree that -egen, group()- will get you numeric identifiers
even if you have to give up on the labels. Thanks for your information
on -xtreg-, which raises a question for StataCorp: why this insistence?

The issue with -encode- is a limit on the number of labels allowed.
That limit bites whatever side you try to scale the mountain from.

Austin Nichols

Nick--
There are several applications, e.g. -xtreg, i(id)-, where a numeric
id is required (for no apparent reason, but required nonetheless).
Why we cannot simply:
  egen g=grou(id)
and keep numeric and string identifiers is not clear, perhaps, but
suppose we want:
  list g
to produce correct-looking identifiers, for whatever reason.  Then the
idea of my posted approach is correct, though the details are
not--there is a missing -if- condition and -labmask- will not work
here.  But a solution from first principles is easy,  I think:

clear
loc N 500
set obs `N'
g id=string(_n)