[no subject]

West said

My database: panel data (unbalanced), 1200 firms, 8 variables.
First, I need to calculate the median value of a given variable (es.
var1), year-by-year. Then, I would divide firms evenly into three groups
according to their value in each year, I mean firms residing in the
low-, middle- and high- var1 group. Could anybody tell me the commands I
need to use? Thank you very much in advance for any illustrative
example.

It is not clear to me how computing a median allows you to divide anything into three groups. Perhaps if you would state exactly how you would like to define low, medium, high in statistical terms it would be possible to propose an exact solution.

Kit