Re: re: st: issues with right clicking and editing graphs in Mac OS X 10.5

From   [email protected] (Vince Wiggins, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: re: st: issues with right clicking and editing graphs in Mac OS X 10.5
Date   Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:59:18 -0600

I have one additional comment about the problems with the contextual
(right-click) menus of the Graph Editor when running under the Leopard release
of Mac OS.  There is a way to recover if you use the Contextual Menu.

I sympathize with David Airey <[email protected]> when he says,

> [...] Seems what is happening is that all choices made under the
> contextual graph editor menu default to "hiding" what was selected.
> And you cannot unhide it, so the graph is ruined.

If you are a Leopard user and do accidentally use the Contextual Menu, don't
despair.  To reshow an object that was wrongly hidden, select it from the
Object Browser (along the right side of the window) and the from the Main Menu
select Object>Show.  Note that your hidden item will be easy to find in the
Object Browser because hidden items are shown dim.  You could also just select
the Undo button from the toolbar at the top of the graph, or equivalently,
select Edit>Undo from the Main Menu.

David's diagnosis that all items on the Contextual Menu hide the currently
selected object under Leopard, is close, but not completely accurate.  The
actions from the items are actually misaligned with the named items because
Apple removed two items that were previously on all contextual menus.  So, it
is possible to get other unintended actions, it is just that most items now
map to "Hide".  For that reason, selecting the "Undo" button is the best
general remedy.

-- Vince
   [email protected]

.

I can confirm this Leopard bug on my Stata MP. Seems what is happening
is that all choices made under the contextual graph editor menu
default to "hiding" what was selected. And you cannot unhide it, so
the graph is ruined. Until Stata fixes this, don't use the contextual
menu; it's broken I agree.

-Dave