RE: st: Test of ordered probit vs ordinary probits

Subject   RE: st: Test of ordered probit vs ordinary probits
Date   Thu, 1 Nov 2007 11:14:59 -0000

Thanks, Richard (and thanks, Partha), for the very helpful discussion
and examples.  I have one last question.

The examples we've been going through have focused on the constraint
that the slope coeffs are the same across equations.  The key point is
that imposing this constraint also implies that the cutoffs satisfy the
ordering constraint.

Say that I don't impose the constraint that the slope coeffs are the
same.  Say also that I have some doubts about whether my outcome
variable is genuinely order-able.  I know that outcome A is different
from B, and B is different from C, and I hypothesize that C>B>A but I
have some doubts about it.  (Silly example: in terms of education, PhD >
BA > high school, but maybe spending so much time getting the PhD means
you forget a lot of the useful stuff you learned in high school and
university.  Hmmm, maybe not so silly.)

This takes me back to my original example of a bunch of separate
probits, but this time contrasted with, e.g., the default behavior of
-gologit2- (with link(pr) to make it a generalized ordered probit).  The
latter imposes only the constraint that the cutoffs are ordered,
corresponding to order-ability of the outcome variable.  How would you
test this constraint?

I looked through the mass of very useful refs and packages Richard
suggested yesterday, but didn't see this.  Apologies in advance if it's
there and I didn't spot it.

Cheers,
Mark

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3296
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes