st: Alternatives to boxplot+line

From   "Allan Reese (Cefas)" <[email protected]>
To   "'Statalist \(E-mail\)" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Alternatives to boxplot+line
Date   Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:20:07 +0100

Nick Cox, as ever, provides interesting questions and constructive suggestions.

I'm loath to move to v10 and the graph editor, because that route doesn't provide an audit trail or commands for production use.

The stripplot route would provide the nearest to the request, with a bit more code to plot outliers.  Regardless of personal preferences, boxplots have documented conventions (which I personally like) and it doesn't aid communication to arbitrarily ignore them - there are enough badly-drawn graphs in publication without deliberate tinkering.  As a comment on the plain stripplot, it's potentially misleading unless points are jittered to show concurrencies.

What I forgot to mention was that my boxplot does have categories as well as a metric.  The actual example show the good linear fit over a range of concentrations, each concentration tested in two sets of equipment.  I can fudge that by moving each set to the side of the nominal concentration, but I'm now clearly doing a lot of one-off coding to get the raw values, as Nick says, for rbar.

Looking at the jittered stripplot+line, I thought a sunflowerplot might work even better.  It gives a nice impression of density of data - note the "missing values" plotted as well, which are the basis of a logistic fit for the probability of getting a reading.

sunflower gi lconc , binwidth(.25) addplot( lfit adjgi lconc if adjgi>25) legend(ring(0) pos(9) col(1) order(4 "Linear" 1 "Single observation"  2 3 ))    xlab( 0(1)-7 ) ylab(20 "No reading" 26.2 30(2)42 44.3 ,angle(0)) ti(Alternative presentation of gi values and linear fit)

Final question - how can one provide example graphs on the list if attachments are forbidden?  (uuencoded .gph?)

Thanks
Allan

This email and any attachments are intended for the named recipient only.  Its unauthorised use, distribution, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.  If you have received it in error, please destroy all copies and notify the sender.  In messages of a non-business nature, the views and opinions expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect those of the organisation from which it is sent.  All emails may be subject to monitoring.