RE: st: Mata and Parameter Constraints

From   "Randy Akee " <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Mata and Parameter Constraints
Date   Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:09:49 +0200

Dear Statalist,

I am interested in including parameter interactions in my mata
optimization routine.  As it stands, the parameters (contained in the
vector p) are only added linearly in my function to be optimized.

For example, given the mata optimization below,
>			: c
>			       1
>			    +-----+
>			  1 |  1  |
>			  2 |  2  |
>			  3 |  3  |
>			  4 |  4  |
>			  5 |  5  |
>			  6 |  6  |
>			    +-----+
>			: f
>			       1   2   3   4   5   6
>			    +-------------------------+
>			  1 |  1   1   0   0   0   0  |
>			  2 |  0   1   1   0   0   0  |
>			  3 |  0   0   1   1   0   0  |
>			  4 |  0   0   0   1   1   0  |
>			  5 |  0   0   0   0   1   1  |
>			  6 |  1   0   0   0   0   1  |
>			    +-------------------------+
>
>void mv0(todo, p, c, f, lnf, S, H)
>{
>        lnf = (c - f*p') :* (c - f*p')
>}
>
>Sv = optimize_init()
>optimize_init_evaluator(Sv, &md0())
>optimize_init_evaluatortype(Sv, "v0")
>optimize_init_params(Sv, J(1,6,0))
>optimize_init_which(Sv, "min")
>optimize_init_argument(Sv, 1, c)
>optimize_init_argument(Sv, 2, f)
>optimize(Sv)
>
>end

The first row equation from the function: lnf = (c - f*p') :* (c - f*p')
Would be: lnf[1] = (1 - p1 - p2)*(1 - p1 - p2)

*** where p1 and p2 are the first two elements (of six elements) of the
parameter vector p (to be solved via mata's optimization)

And the second row equation would be:

Lnf[2] = (2 - p2 - p3)*(2 - p2 - p3)

I'm interested in having an additional term in these equations, such as
p1*p2 or p2*p3, etc., so that the new first row equation might look
like:

lnf = (1 - p1 - p2 - p1*p3)*(1 - p1 - p2 - p1*p3)

My question really comes down to finding out how one can create these
parameter interactions.  Does this problem require including several
functions into the optimization command (i.e. one for each row
equation)? Or is there some other solution available?

Mata does have a command  - optimize_init_constraints() which allows for
constraining the parameters, however this is not going to be of use for
me as it only allows for linear constraints.

Thanks for any insight here.
Randy