st: Re: memory size 7 data merging

Subject   st: Re: memory size 7 data merging
Date   Mon, 24 Sep 2007 07:25:09 -0400

The real question is -- what do you want as a result of the merge? Do you want 1,300,000 observations or do you just want 100,000 observations with matched info from the larger file. If the latter, then use the -nokeep- option for _merge and you should be OK. But if you want the former, then it seems like the resulting dataset won't fit in your allocatable Stata memory and you will need to figure out how to make it smaller by encoding strings, dropping variables, etc.

Michael Blasnik

----- Original Message ----- From: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 11:36 PM
Subject: st: memory size 7 data merging

Hello, all.

I'm trying to merging two data sets.
The size of one data set is about 53 MB (about 100,000 cases) and
another is 40MB (about 1,300,000 cases).
Memory is allocated to 670 MB.
Whenever I tried to merge two data sets, I got an error message
regarding memory as follows:

"no room to add more observations
   An attempt was made to increase the number of observations beyond
what is currently possible.  You
   have the following alternatives:
r(901);"

how can I solve this problem?
My laptop allow me only 675 Mb for STATA. Even though I compress my
data set, it does not work, because the size of the two data set have
not changed much.