st: RE: Goodness of fit and model comparison in xtgee

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Goodness of fit and model comparison in xtgee
Date   Thu, 20 Sep 2007 19:28:23 +0100

This raises questions on two levels.

1. Residuals from -xtgee-
=========================

Seyi is referring to an email

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2005-12/msg00505.html

This chunk still seems to be true:

"It seems that the general comments on -predict-
after -xtgee- are an exaggeration in this case,
as no specific option is available that
produces any flavour of residuals.

No matter, you can still use -predict-
to generate predictions and (e.g.) plot those
against observed. Use the GIC: the
graphical investigation criterion. Or
calculate your own residuals from observed
and predicted.

That might tell you more than any other ?IC
purporting to encapsulate all information on
badness of fit in a portmanteau statistic.

This is all supposing that there isn't
some well-known argument showing that
with -xtgee- residuals are a snare,
a delusion and generally poor citizens."

-xtgee- is a very general and complex command: perhaps
the programmers got distracted or too close
to their deadline to include options for
various flavours of residuals. It happens.

No matter; you can calculate your own as
suggested above.

2. Categorisation of continuous predictor

(I dislike the terms dependent and independent
variables intensely.)

There is quite a large literature arguing
that this is a very bad idea even given
some subject-matter justification. This
has been much discussed in medical statistics.
This argument was one of the main justifications
for fractional polynomials.

Soremekun, Seyi