Re: st: Chi-square test for Categorical Data Analysis

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Chi-square test for Categorical Data Analysis
Date   Tue, 18 Sep 2007 22:58:06 +0100 (BST)

--- Hugh Colaco <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks for your help. I would like to point out that income is a
> categorical variable ranging from 1 to 7 (in ascending order), and
> participants had to simply choose the number associated with the
> income range. In other words, I do not have a precise dollar income
> value for any participant.

This is exactly the case for which -intreg- was designed for, though
note the point Austin made that it asumes that the unobserved
underlying continuous variable is normally distributed. One thing you
could do is log transform the borders of your intervals. But as I said
earlier today: The results Stata gives you are only as good as the data
you put into it. If the data isn't up to it you'll have to suplement it
with assumptions or get better data.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam