RE: st: Does Blasnik's Law apply to -use-?

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Does Blasnik's Law apply to -use-?
Date   Tue, 18 Sep 2007 22:13:05 +0100

My query at the UK Stata User Meeting about the "_prefix suite of
commands" was limited strictly to commands for which help is accessible
by typing in Stata

whelp _prefix

which (at least on my Stata 9) will cause Stata to open an on-line help
window for a set of commands, which seem to be used internally by
StataCorp for implementing prefixes, such as -bootstrap-, -jackknife-,
-permute-, -nestreg-, -rolling-, -simulate-, -statsby-, -stepwise-, and
-svy-. This query was not intended to apply to all commands whose name
starts with "_".

As I understood it, Vince's warning was that non-StataCorp users who get
deeply involved with the commands described by typing

whelp _prefix

do so at their own risk, as these commands may be revised internally by
StataCorp without non-StataCorp users even being warned, never mind
being consulted. The reason for this (as I understood it) is that there
are complicated rules constraining what prefixes may appear before or
after what other prefixes. If a user invents a new prefix, then
StataCorp cannot be expected to maintain its existing prefixes so that
the new prefix will always interact with all the other prefixes as the
user would like. (Vince might like to correct me if I am wrong.)

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger Newson