Re: st: identifying observations in one variable that appear in another variable

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: identifying observations in one variable that appear in another variable
Date   Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:27:23 -0400

Well, this code checks if a particular value (e.g. "Volvo 260") is
among the values of a particular variable (make). You can cycle
through your second variable to get those candidate values.

If I understand you correctly you have a dataset like this:

var1                              var2
alpha                            kappa
beta                             beta
gamma                        sigma
delta                            delta

And you want the values of var2, which are in your var1: (beta and delta).
**-------------------------------------
use mydata
keep var1
rename var
sort var
save file1
use mydata
keep var2
rename var2 var
sort var
merge var using file1
tab _merge
help merge

See the interpretation of the _merge variable

Best regards, Sergiy Radyakin