Re: st: new package seqlogit available on ssc

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: new package seqlogit available on ssc
Date   Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:32:20 +0100 (BST)

--- Anders Alexandersson <[email protected]> wrote:
> I just noticed Martin Buis's new -seqlogit- command which looks very
> interesting. How does it improve on Rory Wolfe's -ocratio- command?
> An obvious improvement is the Stata version, 9.2 versus 5.0. Are
there
> other improvements? Unfortunately, I cannot attend the user meeting
> on September 7.

The main difference with -ocratio- is that -seqlogit- has
post-estimation commands that will decompose the effect of the
explanatory variables on the highest outcome into a effects on passing
transitions and weights assigned to transitions. For instance think of
education: explanatory variables can have an effect on passing the
transitions between levels of education and explanatory variables can
have an effect on the highest achieved level of education. -seqlogit-
has post-estimation tools to link those two types of effects. This only
makes sense if we can meaninfully think of a scale for the highest
achieved level, which is not always the case. If that is not the case
you can still use -seqlogit- but not all postestimation commands will
make sense.

Other differences are:
o -ocratio- only models a series of "stay or leave" decisions,
  -seqlogit- alows for more general decision trees, e.g. branching
  points (a tracked educational system), choices between more than 2
  options.
o -ocratio- alows you to model the decisions as a logit, probit or
  cloglog, while -seqlogit- only allows the logit.

I have just added the presentation on -seqlgit- at the Nordic and
Baltic Stata Users Group meeting on Friday September 7th to my website
(http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/), so you can now see the slides.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis