Re: st: Difference between svy:logit and xtgee - cluster effects.

Subject   Re: st: Difference between svy:logit and xtgee - cluster effects.
Date   Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:59:52 -0400

Jakob Byg <[email protected]>:

You may be confusing cluster-robust SE calculations and fixed effects
for clusters (possibly with various corrections for correlated
errors).  If you don't want to include fixed effects for clusters
(i.e. allow the conditional mean to vary by cluster) but just want to
estimate standard errors that allow for errors correlated within
cluster, you can use -svy- commands or the -cluster- option to get the
same result, i.e. any of the following 3 approaches are nearly
equivalent:

sysuse auto, clear
egen manuf=ends(make)
svyset [pw=w], psu(manuf)
svy: logit for mpg disp
logit for mpg disp [pw=w], clust(manuf) nolog
glm for mpg disp [pw=w], clust(manuf) fam(bin) nolog

But do you want to use an -xt- command to estimate a fixed-effect or
random-effect model?  Or did you want to specify a correlation
structure?