Re: st: importing LONG string variables

From   "Mindruta, Denisa Constanta" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: importing LONG string variables
Date   Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:08:29 -0500 (CDT)

Thank you both Friedrich and Sergiy!
Friedrich, you got right to the point: but, unfortunately, with the method that you suggested I won't be able to align the information properly. Is there any way of telling Stata to leave a blank on V3 Row1 and move Address1 in V4?
Few clarifications for Sergiy:
1) The final file is intended to be used in Stata, but I need first to retrieve all the information from the long string variables. It seemed like a natural solution to split these strings in constituent words. The problem is that the number of words (delimited within the strings by "|") varies row by row ! Hence, the problem with Friedrich's current method.
2) Comma is the current separator between columns/variables (thus, two string variables are currently separated by a comma). It could be replaced with any other delimiter ( tab, etc). "|" is a delimiter between the "words" that constitute each string. The "words" are each less than 244 characters, so if we can put these words in separate columns everything will be fine.

Denisa