RE: st: RE: Hypergeometric Distribution

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Hypergeometric Distribution
Date   Wed, 22 Aug 2007 19:13:15 +0100

This is partly it. The communities are not identical,
although the resemblances are greater than sometimes
stated or implied, particularly by various members of the R community!

The bigger explanation, in my view, for the data-handling capabilities
of Stata is the existence of StataCorp. Industrial strength
data management depends directly or indirectly on the kind
of things more likely to be done by professional programmers.

Newson, Roger B

> Perhaps a lot of us buy Stata because, once one user has programmed a
> method properly, the other users will not have to do so, because the
> package can be downloaded from SSC etc.
>
> This is also an advantage of R (which scores on price compared to
> Stata). However, most R users seem to agree that R doesn't have the
> level of data-handling capabilities that we Stata users have become
> accustomed to. I suspect (somebody correct me if I'm wrong)
> that this is
> because the R community are mostly career methodologists, who are keen
> to be the first to install a new method, but are not so keen to write
> data-handling software to lighten the load of people with bosses,
> deadlines and other workplace afflictions.

Marcello Pagano

Nick Cox wrote:

> > Apply -ln()-, -exp()- and -cond()- as needed.
> >
> > Nick
> > [email protected]
> >
> > Marcello Pagano
> >

> >> Just concerned with the accuracy.