Re: st: Standard error of the estimate for svy: reg

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Standard error of the estimate for svy: reg
Date   Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:47:33 -0400

Needless line

Ah, yes--the "Standard Error of the Estimate" nomenclature threw me. The root MSE does not appear to me to be the standard error of any estimate, but the terminology is obviously different in political science.

The root MSE is an estimate of the assumed constant SD of single error terms in the OLS model. But -svy; reg- does not require the assumption of constant SD. This may have been one reason why the - svy- writers were 'queasy' about including the estimate: its presence could be misinterpreted to mean that the assumption is true.

Steve