st: reshape error: "quarter contains all missing values" ?

From   Mark Manger <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: reshape error: "quarter contains all missing values" ?
Date   Tue, 21 Aug 2007 20:50:08 -0400

Hi,

I have a straightforward data file that I want to convert into something appropriate for a panel. An excerpt:

ISO valq1_1984 valq2_1984 valq3_1984
AFG 0 0 2
ALB 0 0 4
DZA 4 5 2

Variables types are str and int, unsurprisingly. All I wanted to do was:

reshape long val, i(ISO) j(quarter)

and I get the error "quarter contains all missing values" Huh? I think I've done this a thousand times already and never got this error. I suspect STATA doesn't like the variable names for the quarters, because v2 v3 v4 works fine. What can I do to avoid this problem?

--Mark

Mark S. Manger, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Political Science