Re: st: several gr hbar but wants bar of same size

From   "b. water" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: several gr hbar but wants bar of same size
Date   Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:04:07 +0000

scott thanks for your reply and suggestion.

i think one way to be clearer is for me to give more information. here's a sample of the data:

tests noof pos timetest
bb 3 4.96 sysa
hh 4 4.98 sysa
ss 6 4.56 sysa
uu 7 21.33 sysa
zz 5 145.19 sysa
a4 5 37.69 sysa
a5 4 9.98 sysa
a6 7 6.85 sysa
a7 5 15.71 sysa
a8 4 7.02 sysa
a9 5 4.81 sysa
b1 7 4.61 sysa
d1 9 12.51 sysa
e1 3 4.75 sysa
f1 12 6.96 sysa
g1 4 6.95 sysa
m3 11 7.32 sysa
n1 7 5.69 sysa
r1 7 3.93 sysa
aa 5 6.70 sysb
dd 4 4.25 sysb
ii 5 3.95 sysb
jj 5 4.26 sysb
kk 14 3.14 sysb
oo 5 5.68 sysb
pp 5 2.90 sysb
ss 6 3.71 sysb
uu 7 5.48 sysb
b6 7 3.52 sysb
d1 17 28.71 sysb
e1 5 7.23 sysb
f1 12 4.59 sysb
g1 4 5.63 sysb
h1 28 4.96 sysb
i1 15 4.60 sysb
j1 3 6.50 sysb
l1 4 7.79 sysb
l2 4 4.88 sysb
m1 11 3.96 sysb
m2 11 4.96 sysb
n2 7 3.76 sysb
o1 3 4.39 sysb
o4 4 5.10 sysb
o5 12 3.25 sysb
q1 7 3.54 sysb
cc 12 9.77 sysx
nn 9 7.26 sysx
uu 7 6.98 sysx
yy 3 7.03 sysx
b2 6 4.21 sysx
d1 10 6.31 sysx
j1 5 6.49 sysx
o3 3 9.08 sysx
o6 7 3.77 sysx
q2 7 3.81 sysx
ee 12 30.95 sysz
kk 10 3.33 sysz
ll 5 4.53 sysz
qq 9 4.17 sysz
rr 6 3.73 sysz
uu 7 4.83 sysz
yy 3 4.86 sysz
a3 3 5.69 sysz
b3 5 4.62 sysz
d1 33 10.30 sysz
j1 11 6.20 sysz
k1 3 4.62 sysz
k1 3 4.69 sysz
l1 4 4.64 sysz
n3 3 6.39 sysz
o2 6 4.65 sysz
o8 7 3.46 sysz
p1 4 9.66 sysz
q2 7 3.13 sysz
s1 12 4.71 sysz
ff 12 6.09 sysk
gg 6 38.33 sysk
nn 9 4.24 sysk
a1 4 8.76 sysk
c1 5 18.41 sysk
j1 5 4.06 sysk
o7 7 4.38 sysk
ff 12 9.35 sysL
gg 6 30.83 sysL
mm 5 8.40 sysL
nn 9 6.34 sysL
tt 6 4.67 sysL
uu 7 3.81 sysL
a2 8 10.94 sysL
c1 8 6.33 sysL
d1 20 5.85 sysL
j1 5 5.16 sysL
n3 3 5.45 sysL
o2 6 36.70 sysL
o9 7 5.67 sysL
.
.

i want to produce gr hbar ala [G] page 119 for each varlists in timetest, which i can accomplish easy enough, ending up with 6 hbar graphs. naturally, the size of the hbar would be different for each graph. what i want to achieve is these six graphs but with consistent hbar size accross the six graphs. so overall, i would end up with graphs that have the x-axis (horizontal perimeter) of the graph consistent because i am fixing it with ysc(r(0 35)) ylab(0 (5) 35) but that the y-axis (vertical perimeter) of differing lengths depending on obviously on the no. of tests.

scott's suggested approach, while feasible, is not ideal because some of the tests are not applicable to some of the varlists, resulting, if scott's suggested approach was used, redundant gaps in the various graphs. furthermore, there will be more tests and different testtime varlists to be added in the future.

not only i wanted to do the hbar in the way i have described with consistent hbar size, i was hoping that the answer from statalisters would enable me to apply it to creation of consistent gr hbox size, ala [G] page 152, but again with differing y-axis (vertical perimeter) lengths depending on the no. of tests.

down the road, i am want to combine the six graphs (for now) with gr combine so that i have two panels ala [G] page 142 and page 158 respectively but obviously then each column in the respective panels would be of different vertical size.

after going through [G] i am not certain that i wanted is achievable, at least not on stata 8.2 hence the question to statalisters. there might be a 'lateral thinking' solution to achieve what i envisage but at the moment i am drawing blanks.

hope i have made it clearer. all [G] references are of course stata 8.2. again, thank you in advance.

regards,
bw