R: st: dates

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   R: st: dates
Date   Sat, 18 Aug 2007 09:20:01 +0200

Dar Peggy,

I can give a further echo to Svend's and Austin's suggestions, since I have
just started some months ago to move my first steps toward survival analysis
(SA).

I have found Svend's book clear and really helpful; besides, all the
examples quoted in the textbook can be easily and quickly downloaded from
(http://www.stata.com/bookstore/ishr.html) (I did it successfully one week
ago). Running Svend's textbook examples on Stata provides you with an
invaluable help in understanding all the SA trickiest arguments (e.g. how to
prepare dataset for SA).

Another interesting source I take the liberty to refer you to is Stata
manual [ST] Survival analysis and epidemiological tables.

Moreover - I share Austin's advice in full -  please consider Marteen's
paper on this topic (clear and easy to get) and Prof. Jenkins' comprehensive
set of teaching-notes and about 100 pages document on SA (which, in my
opinion, requires more than a couple of readings to get a part of it at
least, since Prof. Jenkins consider all the items of SA and support them
with detailed explanations and step by step examples for Stata).

Unfortunately, I haven't taken a look at Cleves, Gould, and Gutierrez'
textbook yet.

Kind Regards,

Carlo