Re: st: RE: Effect size and Power for the difference between means

From   Diego Bellavia <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Effect size and Power for the difference between means
Date   Fri, 17 Aug 2007 20:23:54 +0000 (GMT)

Tom,

Thank you for the  clear and thorough explanation on effect size.
I agree with all you sayd and now I understand that my question was
a non sense.
But, I do not understand why ES is not useful for sample size
determination in power analysis ? As you pointed out, in its very basic
formulation, ES reports the number of SDs (d) the outcome variable is increased (o decreased) in the
treatment group compared to the control group.
Therefore, knowing ES  you have an immediate estimation of the impact the specific treatment
has in your study population, and being a ratio of

        delta (m1 - m2) / pooled SD (outcome variable)

you take in account variability of the outcome variable a the same time.

All the commands I reviewed in STATA to compute sample size (given power)
or power (when sample size is already known) use the difference in the means (m1 - m2)
and standard deviation of the two groups (sampsi command) or directly the ES (fpower).

However you prefer to put the things, separating the difference of the means in the two groups
and the SD of the outcome variable or putting them together in a ratio (that is ES),
ES remains a critical measure to get sample size (or power) in a power analysis.

All this, naturally, IMHO. If I lost something here, please help me to learn.

Thank you

Diego