Re: st: Generate new variable with an implicit formulation

Subject   Re: st: Generate new variable with an implicit formulation
Date   Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:37:02 -0400

Bob--
Nick Cox had some good suggestions on using an integer -forvalues-
loop and transforming it as necessary inside the loop, but I didn't
see any advice on solving the general problem.  Let me restate it as:
Solve f(x,y,n)=0 where x and n are variables and y is a variable to be
generated.

There are 2 existing methods I know of:
1. use -ridder- which can be obtained via -findit ridder- or
   net inst ssi5_4, from(http://www.stata.com/stb/stb24/)
2. use -nl- and possibly a trick due to Al Feiveson:
   http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/lang/nl.html

However, a better solution might be to minimize f^2 (as suggested by
Stas Kolenikov at NASUG6) using a general optimizer; see e.g. help
mf_optimize in Stata 10 or help ml in Stata 9.

Other software might have the capability you seek built in, but it
would be instructive and fun to solve the problem in Stata, no?
Preferably in Stata 10 and writing code in Mata using mf_optimize, I
suspect.