RE: st: RE: programming problem

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: programming problem
Date   Thu, 16 Aug 2007 22:37:04 +0100

This problem is, in my view, an awkward little challenge.

I very nearly posted a solution that was _quite_
wrong.

A -reshape- solution, as exemplified by Sebastian's code,
looks awkward for just this problem, but may of course be a good
idea for a variety of other problems.

A quite different idea runs like this:

egen history = concat(var1-var12)
gen byte mycond = substr(history, month, 1) == "1"

The appearance here of avoiding a loop over variables
is illusory, as a  loop is hidden inside -concat()-
(and even as of Stata 10 it is still a -while- loop).

But a concatenated history makes some other problems
easy, even with this wide data structure.

Has this person experienced a spell of three or more months
with this condition?

gen byte spell3 = strpos(history, "111") > 0

When was the first month in the year with
this condition?

gen byte first = strpos(history, "1")

When was the last month in the year with
this condition?

gen byte first = cond(first, 13 - strpos(reverse(history), "1"), 0)

Jeph Herrin

> Duh.
>
> I had done this:
>
>   forval j = 1/12 {
>    	replace mycond =  `j' == month & var`j' == 1
>   }
>
> Which effectively only tests month 12, before I veered
> off in another direction.

Nick Cox

> > Short of a solution using -reshape-, I think
> > this will suit:
> >
> > gen mycond = 0
> > forval j = 1/12 {
> > 	replace mycond = 1 if `j' == month & var`j' == 1
> > }
> >
> > where I assume that your -var*- are 1 when true.

Jeph Herrin