st: Suggestion concerning merge

From   Fred Wolfe <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Suggestion concerning merge
Date   Sat, 11 Aug 2007 08:44:41 -0500

Stata allows -merge- with the options - update- and -update replace-. Stata indicates that "A nonmissing value, however, will never be replaced with a missing value." Perhaps it might be allowed for that to occur. The option might be called -allreplace-.

I am working with a dataset in which I found "strange" values for one variable. The persons who created the dataset examined the variable and made corrections. However, some corrections were to missing. -merge- does not allow me to replace values with missing, although that is the correct thing to do in this circumstance. So, perhaps Stata might consider this new option.

Thanks. BTW, no need to suggest work arounds I know how to do that.

Fred

Fred Wolfe
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases
Wichita, Kansas
Tel +1 316 263 2125

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/