RE: st: Creating new graph properties dynamically

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Creating new graph properties dynamically
Date   Fri, 10 Aug 2007 12:30:45 +0100

Thanks to Maarten for the plug, but Sergei would look in
vain through my graphics programs for examples
of class programming [technical sense]. I say
"class" as this is one key word; it might be better
to say "object".

Back-tracking: Sergei thinks he has a graphics problem
for which application of class programming is
the answer. I can't be clear whether that is true,
as I don't understand his question, nor do I have
a sense of the underlying problem.

Either way, I don't think there is any more written
on the subject than he has found. StataCorp expressed
an intention to write this up for user-programmers
when Stata 8 was introduced, but then they changed
their minds.

My reading of the runes and listening on Statalist
and at users' meetings leads me to these statements:

1. A very few people think they want to read about
class programming in graphics.

2. A very few people think they need to read about
class programming in graphics.

3. Vince's talks in particular, and you didn't need
to be there because the talk materials are downloadable,
show that you can do some very clever things with it.

4. However, explaining it all properly, especially if
you take account of the fact that not all the potential
readership know about classes/objects, would probably
take at least a small book.

5. And there are plenty of other ways to do clever
things with Stata graphics that are well documented.

6. You add all that up, and I think it boils down
to it being unlikely that you are going to see much else
written down. It's not a good use of StataCorp resources
to put a lot of effort into something that will have
only a very limited appeal. They have no interest in
hiding it; StataCorp too would benefit the more people
knew how to do very clever things with their graphics.
But explaining it all would be a big deal.

7. I would be happy if StataCorp made a fool of me
by doing what I guess they won't.

Maarten buis