AW: st: question regarding "merge"

From   "Simon Oertel" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   AW: st: question regarding "merge"
Date   Thu, 9 Aug 2007 11:43:58 +0200

Thanks Brent and Maarten,

it works perfect.
Simon

-----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Maarten
buis
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 9. August 2007 11:09
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: st: question regarding "merge"

--- Simon Oertel <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a question regarding the combination of four datasets. I used
> the -merge- command which worked well for three of them. However, the
> fourth dataset makes me trouble.
>
> All datasets have a variable which enables me to combine them (an ID
> that is similar in all datasets). The fourth dataset holds different
> information in different rows for the same ID. My problem is that if I

> merge the datasets, the number of cases in my final dataset will
> increase.

What you want is to -reshape- file 4 first in wide format, see -help
reshape- and the example below:

*---------- begin example ------------
drop _all
tempfile file4
input ID  VariableY
1   10
2   20
2   25
2   30
3   30
4   40
end

bys ID: gen t = _n
reshape wide VariableY, i(ID) j(t)
sort ID
save `file4'

drop _all
input ID  VariableX
1   40
2   30
3   20
4   10
end
sort ID
merge ID using `file4'
tab _merge
drop _merge
list
*--------- end example ------------
(For more on how to use examples I sent to the Statalist,
see: http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/stata/exampleFAQ.html )

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting address:

+31 20 5986715

http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/

Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign
up for your free account today
http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/mail/winter07
.html